Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grandmothers are an Exceptional Exception…


Kyle and I often discuss how we want to raise this little squatter that’s hanging out inside my uterus. Topics like discipline, dealing with temper tantrums, and limiting processed sugar and television have all come up. We’d like to have routine and order while still providing guidance and unconditional love.

There’s one other topic that we’ve agreed on, Grandmothers. I only had one grandmother growing up. And she was the best. I loved going to grandmas. She made me noodles and fried rice. And she didn’t make me eat the peas or pork either. She hung up my ugly pot holders all over her little tiny kitchen. Grandma let me get away with things that were on my mom’s “no list”. Like getting to go to bed in front of the TV.
Lucy is going to have two really awesome grandmothers. And Kyle and I have already decided; grandmothers get a free pass. A free pass to do whatever they like… Even if it is a second scoop of ice cream or extra sugar on her mochi.

3 comments:

  1. Cool...now we're getting to what Grandfathers can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the free pass. I can't wait to be Lucy's grandmother! I will make sure that Papa Ring plays within the boundaries I set for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so smart! We have a "What Happens at Grandma's Stays at Grandma's" policy and it has made our lives SO much less stressful! We decided early on that as long as our kids were alive and (mostly) happy after a visit, that was good enough.

    ReplyDelete