Thursday, January 9, 2014

Audrey and Nolan's Story

There are many interesting facts about delivering a baby...
99% of deliveries occur at a hospital
67% are vaginal births
Only 5% arrive on their due date

There are many interesting facts about TWIN deliveries...
Most arrive at 36 weeks gestation
Most come on their own schedule (not induced)
About 75% are by c-section

Well Nolan and Audrey's delivery was very special. Their scenario only occurs in the 0.09% of deliveries. I had the opportunity to deliver Audrey naturally and then convert to an emergency c-section for Nolan. Pretty lucky, huh?

We had to evict them right at 38 weeks. Doctors do not like twins going past 38 weeks gestation, due to the increased risk of stillbirths. We started the pitocin just after 8am. At 1:30pm the doctor broke my water. Then I had the epidural. Yowsers. It sucked the first time the anesthesiologist shoved that ridiculous needle in my back. Then he said it twisted and had to redo it. Then he took it out AGAIN because it wasn't positioned just right. And I guess for this guy the third time was the charm :/

Around 4:15pm we headed to the O.R. to deliver these babies for an easy peasy vaginal delivery. Well once we got there things took a turn. Audrey had a cord wrapped around neck and the dr read us the laundry list of risks associated with vacuum assisted deliveries. We took a deep breath, agreed, and a few pushes later, I was holding my sweet (healthy) baby girl.

Here is where the story should read "I had a few more contractions and the second baby arrived". Unfortunately, as soon as Audrey was delivered, Nolan's heart rate dropped from 145 to the low 60s. They got us all set for an emergency c-section. Kyle got kicked out of the room and had to wait in the hallway outside the O.R. all by himself. I was put completely under.

The rest I don't remember, but rumor has it, Nolan came out just fine. Audrey and Nolan both avoided NICU stays. Nolan went up there briefly, but was back with us by the time I woke up.

They wrapped up both babies and wheeled us up to post partum (photo below).




No comments:

Post a Comment